Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dill Pickles

Ever wonder how to make homemade pickles?  Well, look no further!  It’s actually quite easy. 
You’ll need:
·         fresh pickling cucumbers (cut however you like or not cut at all)
·         sanitized jars and new lids
·         a large pot with a lid
·         solution of 3 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar, plus about 1 teaspoon of salt for every two cups of solution
·         fresh dill sprigs
Heat lots of water in the large pot (or hot water bath).  Put a dill sprig in every jar then fill the jars with the pickling cucumbers.  Heat the solution to about 180 degrees, then equally divide it among the jars, making sure to cover the pickles (and leaving about an inch of space at the top of the jar).  Screw the lids on finger tight then carefully lower then carefully into the large pot of hot water.  Make sure that the jars are covered in water by at least a couple of inches.  Put the lid on the pot then let it cook (“process”), for about 5-10 minutes.  Then take them out of the hot water.  Wait about a day to test the seal of one of the jars.

By Miriam Barton in promotion for The Pioneer Cookbook: Recipes For Today's Kitchen.

This recipe is being shared with the Hearth and Soul Hop, Take It From Me, Inspiring You To Save Wandering Wednesday, Mommy Only Has Two Hands Hump Day Hop, The King's Court IV What's Cooking Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday, Friday Pot Luck, Little Brick Ranch, My Adventure In Mommyhood, KB and Whitesnakes Home Simply Delish, My Meatless Mondays, Bake with Bizzy

7 comments:

Ott, A said...

So glad to see a fellow pickle canner. I wanted to invite you to particpate in my Canning Week Blog Party Aug. 22-26 http://alattewithotta.blogspot.com/p/canning-week-2011.html
We will have a linky party with prizes and this recipe would be perfect for it. We will also have lots of other canning recipes & tips and give-a-ways. Hope you can stop by for a Latte' and join in the fun!

Alea Milham said...

I never knew it was so easy! My husband loves dill pickles; I cannot wait to make this for him. I am so jazzed I have dill in my herb garden and cukes that are just starting to form. Thank you for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is we have a HUGE crop of cucumbers and I want to do this - BUT call me stupid cause I have NEVER done anything like this ... but why don't the glass jars break when theyre in the hot water? Do you bring it to a boil at all or keep it at 180? I'm your latest GFC follower from Welcom Wednesday - yes, I know I'm a day late but I needed an extra day to catch up with life!! Hope you can stop by and return the favor soon.
http://www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com/

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

This sure is a lot easier than I thought! I can't get proper dill pickles here in England so I will have to give your recipe a try! Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

Miriam said...

Shauna, great question! Glass jars only break when temperatures change drastically (like if they were very hot then filled with ice water or put in the freezer). n this recipe they are already hot from pouring the hot solution in them. Boiling them doesn't strain the glass at all. Good luck!!

KB said...

Yum. Thanks for sharing with us at

Simply Delish Saturday

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I just made some last week...I love to make pickles, so easy and they make great gifts, too