Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ginger Honey Lemon Tea


Pioneers had their own brand of remedies.  They were all natural, from the earth.  Some of them were effective while others just make us laugh like “to cure fever blisters kiss a red-head.”
In my book The Pioneer Cookbook: Recipes For Today’s Kitchen I have a chapter on old pioneer remedies mixed with some modern homemade remedies.  This tea is not in my book, I invented it recently for my husband who has a cough.  I looked up several natural expectorants and put a few of them together to make this soothing and tasty hot tea.
Ginger Honey Lemon Tea
1 ½ cups hot water
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 lemon wedge
Pour the hot water into a large mug then stir in the remaining ingredients (squeezing the lemon juice from the wedge into the drink before stirring in the wedge).

By Miriam Barton in promotion for The Pioneer Cookbook: Recipes For Today's Kitchen.

This recipe is being shared with the Hearth and Soul Hop, Take It From Me, Inspiring You To Save Wandering Wednesday, Mommy Only Has Two Hands Hump Day Hop, The King's Court IV What's Cooking Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday, Little Brick Ranch, My Adventure In Mommyhood, KB and Whitesnakes Home Simply Delish, My Meatless Mondays

6 comments:

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I always love looking through the old remedies :) Hope your husband gets to feeling better.

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze said...

I have to try this. :)

Torviewtoronto said...

we always have home remedies for sickness instead of buying medicine
grated fresh ginger and extract the juice of it and mix with honey and drink a tsp of this concentrate will also help Miriam
regards
Akheela

Kristen said...

I have never come to visit this other blog of yours. What a treasure trove of wonderful recipes this one is, too! Now I will have to divide my time between meatless and pioneer!!

Unknown said...

Every morning this is the first thing I have...very soothing..you have a nice space here dear....swing by to my blog whenever you get a chance...

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

This will come in handy, thanks for linking with the Hearth n soul.